The comprehensive is conducted for students who have satisfactorily completed all the courses of the program. The objective of the comprehensive is to test the student’s capability to comprehend the entire program. It consists of a written test of three hours and an oral examination which is conducted by a board consisting of academics and practitioners.
The comprehensive is graded and the students must obtain a passing grade to qualify. The students must take comprehensive to fulfill the requirement of the program. The comprehensive is a pre-requisite to practicum.
IUBAT places great emphasis on the value of practical work experience in all professional degree programs. In the junior or senior year of study, IUBAT will place BATHM student as intern with a suitable tourism-recreational resort-hotel-restaurant management development type organization.
There are potential of practicum in the restaurant industry in the UK and Thailand. Such overseas placement may be for more than a semester and subject to availability of places. This internship is an integral component of the business program, worth 9 credit hours.
Career with BATHM Degree
- The facilities of counseling and guidance are available to students under the leadership of qualified psychologists.
- This service is provided under the Counseling and Guidance Centre of IUBAT.
- Although this is primarily a counseling service, therapy to a limited extent is provided as and when needed.
Computer Science and Engineering Department also supervise an IT support team which maintains all the networks, troubleshoot and support all the PCs and other hardware of the university.
- Contribute to HRD and community services in general
- Multidisciplinary professional consultancy
- Multidisciplinary and market oriented professional training
Duration of Study
The minimum requirement for the BATHM degree is completion of 130 credit hours plus such courses recommended by the college after reviewing individual background and require 4 years to complete for a full time student. It is possible to graduate earlier with additional course load.
A semester is of 16 weeks duration, there are three semesters in a year and as such a full time student can complete the degree requirements earlier. However, most students take 4 years to complete the program.
IUBAT assesses fees for students on credit hour basis. Fees and refundable library and laboratory deposits in details have been provided in the financial information section of this bulletin.
This section also provides information on financing arrangement including merit-scholarships at the point of admission, in-course fee waiver scholarship, different scholarships, on-campus work opportunities, financial assistance in the form of grants, installment payment, deferred payment student loan etc. The standing IUBAT policy to cater to needs of all qualified students who aspire for higher professional education regardless of the income level of his/her family through appropriate educational financing arrangement under the concept Knowledge Based Area Development: A Step Towards Community Self-Reliance applies to BATHM program.
The Financial Information section also contains information on tuition fees for international students and special fees for students from SAARC countries and Least Developed Countries (LDC) of Asia and Africa.
Program of Study
The BATHM curriculum consists of course and a practicum in tourism centers and international hotels restaurant or other similar organizations. The courses of BATHM program are grouped into following areas:
Requirements for Graduation
The BATHM degree will be conferred only to the student who has fully complied with the graduation requirements and has applied for it. The requirements are that the student has:
- completed all the prescribed courses with a minimum of 130 credit hours plus such courses recommended by the college after reviewing individual background.
- Earned at least “C” grades in each of the required core, electives, major area and English courses.
- earned at least passing grade (D) in each of the remaining courses.
- fulfill English language requirement through English Language Competency Test (ELCT).
- Earned a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.5
- completed the practicum with at least a passing grade.
- earned at least a passing grade in the comprehensive
- Satisfactory behavior and discipline library and financial clearance from the college and the university.
As for BATHM degree, students can concentrate either in the area of tourism or hospitality. The course requirements for the two areas are given below:
Core courses in College of Tourism Hospitality Management
Department of Hospitality Management
Department of Tourism Management
Free Electives Tourism and Hospitality Management
Suggested Course Sequence : Semester 1
Suggested Course Sequence : Semester 2
Suggested Course Sequence : Semester 3
Suggested Course Sequence : Semester 4
Suggested Course Sequence : Semester 5
Suggested Course Sequence : Semester 6
Suggested Course Sequence : Semester 7
Suggested Course Sequence : Semester 8
Suggested Course Sequence : Semester 9
Suggested Course Sequence : Semester 10
Suggested Course Sequence : Semester 11
The total credit hours requirement for the degree has been decided at 130 plus such courses as may be prescribed on the basis of review of individual backgrounds.
Following courses are available for exemption on the basis of competency:
- CHM 115 General Chemistry
- CHM 116 Chemistry Lab
- CSC 103 Fundamentals of Computers & Applications
- CSC 104 Computer Applications Lab
- ENG 101 Basic English Composition
- MAT 107 Mathematics
In the light of the above, background of an applicant and his/her competence, the course requirements for the concerned student in the BATHM program will be customized.